Thursday 8 November 2012

 
LIVING OFF COIR


In the arena full of vivid flower stalls Muhammad Mubeen a man in his late 60’s, stood out, busy in selling what he calls “coconut sticks” at the 61st flower show at Seaview.

A middle height, fair build man dressed up in fading white shalwar kameez, sleeves folded up to elbow and head covered with Taqiyah (short rounded cap) with white hair visible from parts of it. He had wheatish complexion with a white long beard, wrinkles on his face and slumped shoulders clearly spoke his age.

He sells coconut sticks for his living. Stack of coir pipes were arranged at his stall in a manner to provide him shade from the blazing sun. Coconut sticks or Coir pole is a plant support made from grey PVC pipes warped with coconut coir.
“Coconut coir is imported from Sri Lanka, I buy 4 tons of it from Bolton Market and 10 feet PVC pipes are cut into 3 pieces in order to get the desired length, coconut coir is then twisted around the pipes and secured with thread”, explained Muhammad Mubeen in his deep shaky voice, when asked how he creates them.

“I am selling coconut stick (coir pole) for 2 years now. Previously I worked as a plumber but due to my leg injury I can’t walk much therefore had to quit because pain in my joints troubles me. Now I make coir poles with my hands for my living”, He responded showing his trembling hands.
“There are no guarantees in this work sometimes you sell good and at times you sell nothing at all “,said Muhammad Mubeen as he sold coir pipes to a customer.” I am working to make ends meet as I have to support my family” he added.
Despite all the hindrances in his life he remains strong-willed and pious person, as can be judged by his calm demeanor and tone “I try my best and trust God with the rest. He makes better plans”, he asserted. One could clearly see determination in his pale eyes surrounded by the wrinkles as he spoke.

 
Regardless of his age Mubeen is still working, not only for livelihood but to keep himself busy, to take his mind off the pains and aches.”Making coir pipes and baskets is not an easy job, it requires effort and time. My palm and hands often pain with all the twisting I do”, he said.
Coir pipes ranges from Rs50 to Rs250 depending upon their sizes and the baskets for Rs60 minimum. Mubeen owns a small shop in Manzul Colony named “Al-maki Coconut Stick” where he makes coir pipes and supplies them to a number of nurseries including the nursery in Karachi University.
As Okakura Kakuzo says, the art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings and Muhammad Mubeen lays down a perfect example of it.

5 comments:

  1. I must say, a very beautiful piece of writing. Ms. Azmeena you should keep writing and produce more brilliant work like this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel really proud when I hear or read about old people who work hard, defying their age. Nice description :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent job azmeena... liked it a lot... nicely portrayed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the way you explain things, it beautiful really!:)

    ReplyDelete